Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Cooking Disasters

I don't usually totally blow it when it comes to cooking, but today for some reason I feel like I totally did.


I tried out a new pancake recipe this morning--Blueberry-Orange Pancakes--and all was going well until I added the frozen blueberries. I added a few, thought it could use a few more, and then probably about 3-4 cups worth suddenly fell into the batter as I added "a few more." All the frozen blueberries were just sticking to each other, and it took forever to try to flatten out the blueberries so they weren't stacked into a blob, cook each pancake since the frozen blueberries kept the batter from cooking (it was more like cooking blueberries with a tiny bit of batter around each one), and scraping them off the pan. When Tyson came into the kitchen he had the brilliant idea of microwaving the whole bowl of batter, which thawed the blueberries and helped immensely. So the last pancake turned out okay.


Lunch was okay--I served the kids bananas and hearty whole-wheat bread I baked yesterday with honey butter. Not at all fancy, but can't go too wrong with that.


Dinner I was doing a recipe I tried out last month--Stuffed Shell Pasta. I baked it, thought I was doing great, but was surprised that the filling didn't fill up the shells as much as I thought it would, especially since I had put in extra cheese. At 8pm as I was doing a last clean-up check in the kitchen, I realized why--the frozen spinach I'd meant to put in with the cheese mixture was still in the microwave. Whoops! (Hopefully I can re-freeze the bag?)


I think I'll just blame it on pregnant-mommy-absentmindedness. I could definitely have that. I also passed the main road I was supposed to turn on for my midwife appointment today and had to drive at least another mile before I could turn around and go back.


At least these sort of days are numbered! Six weeks to go!

1 comment:

Allison said...

I do stuff like that ALL THE TIME and I'm not pregnant. Ugh. Hang in there. xo