A similar piece of advice was given in General Conference a while ago by Elder Wirthlin in his amazing talk, "Come what May and Love It." Talking about how to react to difficult moments and times, he says, "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead."
A few weeks ago I encountered one of those (all-too-frequent) moments. The temperature was too cold (below freezing) so our car wouldn't start. I had an appointment about a mile away for two of my kids. I loaded them in the stroller and for the next 45 minutes pushed and pulled and shoved that darn stroller as fast as I could over all the un-shoveled, bumpy, icy, snow-covered sidewalks. I arrived just barely late, sweating and panting. I asked if I still made my appointment. They looked at the time. They looked at the schedule book. And then they told me my appointment was actually for the next day.
I was so exhausted I just sat down in one of the chairs in the lobby. I wanted to cry, I was so tired and frustrated. Then I remembered Elder Wirthlin's advice. I couldn't quite muster a laugh, I did manage a small smile and it kept me from breaking down.
I've been trying to remember that more often, especially with all the antics Jeffrey and Amri are doing lately. A couple of days ago Amri dumped her cereal on her head while I was in the bathroom. When I came out I was tempted to get mad. But then I reminded myself that these sweet little babes are going to grow up all too soon, and to try to cherish and enjoy them all I can, laughing instead of getting upset (although I lost my cool when later that day Jeffrey and Amri dumped several things out of a bathroom drawer into the toilet while I was nursing Jacob. . .it's a work in progress).
Now I really am glad that I took the time to enjoy the kids for the stage they're at when I took this video. It helps that Jeffrey and Amri continually remind me in their own words that me that "I funny" (as evidenced in the video). Tyson and I have laughed over it several times since. Elder Wirthlin's advice really is true: "The next time you’re tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead. It will extend your life and make the lives of all those around you more enjoyable."
Enjoy
"Laughing over spilled milk"
3 comments:
So cute! My kids were laughing hysterically at the movie!
That's such a good attitude to have--you're right, it's easy to get upset about things that are out of our control, or that aren't as big a deal as we make them out to be. And who could be mad at that "I funny" face? So cute!
you are too cute! i miss you two! love you!
Post a Comment