Sunday, May 5, 2013

Family history, I am doing it!

Tyson and I have been called to be ward family history specialists. This is the second or third time we've had a calling together like this, and I enjoy being able to go to the same Sunday School class together. I did quite a bit of family history a few years ago in Hawaii, and it's been fun to pick it back up and see how much farther family history has come as far as resources. Here's a list of websites that have been fun to play with, although most of them require an lds.org login account.

createfan.com -- a chart going back nine generations

familysearch.org/tree -- This is such a cool improvement to other family searches! On this new site you can add pictures, stories, and records about your ancestors, and see what other people have shared as well.

rootsmagic.com -- even with the free version, you can customize your own family chart and find temple ordinances for family members in a matter of minutes once your family is downloaded. Way cool! For a detailed explanation on how to use rootsmagic, see stillands.com, presentations, and then family history powerpoint.

recordseek.com -- allows you to quickly put sources on familysearch.org/tree

findagrave.com -- see pictures of actual headstones. I haven't had any luck finding a family member on this yet, but I'd love to.

Indexing is super interesting as well, for "helping in the vineyard" and making records such as censuses, military records, immigration records, etc. for the use of the general public.

Still no pictures. Our computer is being weird when you try to connect any source to it--card readers, hard drive, etc. Until next time. . .

1 comment:

Camber said...

Wow, good luck with your new calling! We discovered the creatfan thing a year or two ago and it's SO cool! I think it's the best way to depict a family tree in a small space I've seen.