Thursday, March 18, 2010

Wheat germ oil?

We have the most random stuff in our fridge. That's what happens when lots of people are moving all the time and people leave you with stuff that is perfectly good so you don't want to throw it away, but then it just stays there because you don't know what to do with it.

The lunch I'm eating is just such an example. I made these salmon patties (we have all this canned salmon) and realized after getting started that I didn't have the green onions the recipe called for. Dang. So I looked through the fridge and found some cilantro--in-a-tube someone left us. So I used all that up. It called for dill, and the same person left us a bunch of expensive freeze-dried dill (this girl was really into fancy spice/herb blends), so I threw a bunch of that in--way more than it called for. Then I saw this wheat germ oil my bro left in my fridge. He used to eat here on a daily basis and would drink a tablespoon of that or so a day for health reasons. Kind of gross to me, drinking straight oil, but whatever. So I thought I'd use that instead of cooking oil for frying them. Okay, it turned BRIGHT YELLOW and all bubbly when I heated it up. I thought, "Weird, maybe I should learn a little about this oil before I use it." So I looked some stuff up on the internet.

It's really good for you. And I killed all the good stuff by heating it. Of course.

Oh well. Now I know. And I found a recipe on the back of some random pesto sauce (also found by looking in the fridge-from same random girl) that I can use the oil with. I've never used pesto sauce but I guess there's a first for everything.

It's just sad that all these firsts are because I'm cleaning the fridge since we're moving in 3 weeks. :(



ps. the patties turned out okay. Jeffrey surprised me by eating a whole one, which is a miracle considering how little he usually eats.

2 comments:

Amber said...

I'm finally catching up now! Where will you guys be moving in three weeks? Maybe we'll end up in the same place :) I love your food experimenting... it makes me laugh because it sounds like something I would do. Your kiddos are adorable!

michele said...

While you're at it, you need some pickled asparagus and some garlic stuffed olives.